Do I have the Proper Coverage on my Trailer/Camper?

Post 1 of 9

It’s finally summer in Northeast Ohio (kind of) and it’s the season for camping, boating and other outdoor activities! As you begin to take your campers and boats out, it’s always a great idea to review your current insurance policies. Two types of coverages you should review are the liability coverage and physical damage coverage on your campers and trailers.

Typically, the liability coverage for a camper or trailer needs to be looked at from two different perspectives. The first is when it’s attached to the towing vehicle, and the other is when it’s parked. Commonly, when a trailer or camper is being towed, the liability coverage on the towing vehicle extends to the item being towed; however, that liability coverage ends once the trailer or camper is parked. Liability coverage for a parked trailer or camper is usually provided by a separate policy.

The next item to review is the physical damage coverage. If you placed the item in storage for the winter, you may have kept comprehensive coverage only. Don’t forget to add the collision coverage back on before you take it on the road.

As always, each company will determine how they extend and offer coverage so you should contact your insurance agent to clarify how your particular company handles trailers and campers.

Do you have a question that you’d like to ask? Email us at and we might use it in a future entry!

This article was written by Joshua Palmer

Josh is a licensed insurance agent with the Mayflower Wollam Insurance Group. He is a graduate of Mineral Ridge High School, Class of 2008, and attended the United States Air Force Academy, Class of 2012, where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology. Josh brings a unique background into the agency and focuses on a mixture of personal, commercial, farm and life insurance. His office is located in our Cortland location.